Monday, January 19, 2009

As of recent, I have been trying to come up with new activities/games for my kids to do. Staying inside the house (mostly just our house) all day with the same old toys just doesn't meet the demands of a 17-month old, and more specifically an almost 3-year old. And going to Grandma's and Grandpa's house every day just might wear out the excitement of that idea. Some things we've tried--on days that are too cold to go outside--are baking cookies (Carter loves the cookie dough, and helping to make it, but Emmy gets a little restless during this one), playing with play-dough (Carter also loves this one, but Em still tries to eat it), reading stories, playing guns (maybe not the best activity, but Carter and Emily both get a kick out of that one:o)), and occasionally watching a movie (okay, maybe the movie-watching is a little more frequent than "occasionally"). If the kids will sit down to watch a movie, that is usually the only time I have to myself during the day. Yes, Carter is watching a movie right now, and Emmy is taking a nap.

These games we play are fun and have helped to make rambunctious days fun days too, but I'm afraid they're getting old. So, today I got online to look for some new ideas. While doing so, I left the kids upstairs playing for about five minutes. I went up to find Carter and Emily helping themselves to some yogurt straight out of the carton. Em was covered pretty much from head to toe.

I had already sent Carter to the bathroom out of frustration before I thought to take a picture. He wasn't near as covered as he had a spoon to eat with, and Emmy, just her hands. Just this morning while I was getting ready they did the exact same thing with a bowl of frosting. Am I being too neglectful?

Reflecting on today's messes has made me think a lot about some of the things I have learned- or should have learned by now- to avoid or deal with, being the mother of two very energetic kids, a 1 and 2 year old, just 16-1/2 months apart.

1. Keep as close supervision as possible 110% of the time!

2. Never leave open bags of cereal, crackers, or anything of the like within reach. It will end up scattered across the kitchen/dining room floors.

3. If they are laughing histerically at each other in the next room, most likely something is being destroyed or thrown about all over the premices.

4. Never ever ever plan a shopping trip "for fun" with just you and the two of them. You may end up chasing them in the dressing room from stall to stall in your scivies.

5. The bathtub requires extremely close supervision. If you choose not to, the whole bathroom may be flooded, not to mention the damage done below in the basement bathroom.

6. Just try to get up and get ready before the kids are awake, otherwise you may look like you just got out of bed for the rest of the day.

7. Always, always, always have something for them to do so their energy is put to good use and not toward destruction.

8. I love my kids more and more every day despite the messes I am faced with.

9. Potty training for 8 months and counting is not my idea of fun!

10. My kids are the stinkin' cutest kids in all the world, and I wouldn't trade them for anything!





11. My husband is pretty dang amazing too, and I love him more than ever!

Just because I know some things to do or not to do doesn't mean I always do or don't do it. Thus, my life is an adventure each and every day!! :o)

6 comments:

Becki R said...

What a good Mom you are! Honest and truly, I don´t know how you do it! But hopefully you will keep learning new tips to share with me if I ever get to be a Mom! Love you lots!

ShaRee said...

Great post, so true! Your kids are adorable, and humor is sometimes the only way to get through those crazy days! :)

Scott said...

You are not alone, I am with you 100%. Two under three keeps things extra exciting. Today for me, it was a bottle of baby powder all over Jeff's room. But like you say, they're worth it. :)

angela said...

That's our life, isn't it great! I do really mean that! I love the crunching sound of the cereal or crackers even though you've swept twice. If your getting getting peace and quiet I have to wonder is the mess worth my 5 minutes of alone time, and sometimes it is!

Pam said...

Bo asked me what was it that I was laughing about....it was your kids! If they were not so cute, it may be harder to love them so much when they are mischivious! lol!!
I'll have some of that yougurt! ;) lol!!!

Steph said...

I feel old Michelle because I can say the thing that annoyed me so much when I had my three that were little--they do grow up and they still make messes but they can entertain themselves without too much help and even better--they can watch the baby while you have a nap!!! Good luck surviving! And Emily's hair is so dang cute! I wish Charity would get some! And we're going through clothes again, so tell us what you need!